NASHO INTERN JOB DESCRIPTION
NASHO is an independent member-based association of non-profit Social Housing Institutions (SHIs) that have responsibility for the development and long-term management of social housing stock in South Africa. It presently has a membership of 16 non-profit SHIs responsible for the collective management of over 33 000 social housing units in the country, providing subsidised rental accommodation to low to middle-income families across the country.
The objective of NASHO is to develop a strong and sustainable Social Housing sector in South Africa in which Social Housing Institutions play a significant part. It does this through the following programmes and initiatives including:
- Information, Research, Communication and Advocacy
Undertake relevant information gathering, research and innovative pilot projects to share this with sector stakeholders and use it to support the development of the sector.
- Capacity Development
Provide capacity development opportunities for Social Housing institutions, municipalities and other sector stakeholders that strengthen the institutional capacity to deliver a sustainable social housing sector.
- Technical Services
Provide direct technical support and training to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the development and long-term management of the physical social housing assets.
NASHO seeks to appoint a Post Graduate Intern based in Johannesburg. As a postgraduate intern, you will be exposed to the different role players in social housing sector, including but not limited to social housing delivery agents, the regulator and different levels of government, and funders.
- Assist in reviewing current and draft legislation and policies to understand their implications for the sector for recommendation
- Assist in conducting research on current issues impacting social housing sector and NASHO members
- To provide comprehensive, effective, and efficient research support across NASHO’s research and advocacy interests
- To produce accurate and timeous reports.
- To assist with any day-to-day ad-hoc programme administrative tasks and implementation of those tasks
- Provide support to the project managers leading the different programmes and projects including Municipal Support Programme, Incubation Programme
Candidates should have a university post graduate degree or working towards completing their post graduate degree in Housing and Human Settlement, Built Environment i.e., Planning, Urban Studies, Property Studies etc. or related degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This is a 14-month internship programme
Suitable candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Commit to the internship for a period of 14 months
- Must be able to speak fluent English and any other South African language
- Must be able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Must be a South African Citizen
- Interns will be paid a monthly stipend
- Be available to work from the Johannesburg offices of NASHO
NASHO is committed to equity in employment and supporting transformation. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Applications are strongly encouraged from candidates from previously disadvantaged groups who historically suffered discrimination particularly racial and gender discrimination.
APPLICATIONS AND CLOSING DATE
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- A covering letter, outlining your areas of interest and suitability. Maximum 1 page
- Detailed CV with at least 2 contactable references
- Clear and certified copies of their relevant tertiary education degrees and/or certificates including subjects studied and transcripts.
Short listed candidates are required to attend an interview in Johannesburg with direct costs covered by NASHO.
Applications must be submitted by e-mail, before Close of Business on the 7th of March 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org